November 22nd, 2007
One of the reasons that made me change from blogging in Portuguese to blog in English, was to see how much more audience could I get. It was a simple case study that aimed to differentiate content audience in a specific language against content audience in the most “common” language: English. Of course that with English and some kind of advertising, I would get more audience. But that’s not what I really wanted to check.
Here’s the stats for this new blog:
With my common audience (Portuguese aggregations) I was getting around 45 visits a day. But with some publicity I got ~600 visits from the following places:
Conclusion: the English market is very big, but not so global as I supposed. By writing in English I got many visits but the majority is from English speaking countries. As I expected, if someone wants to get global, then there is no other way than to localize the application for all the main languages. Not only make the content available in several languages, but also focus marketing for different zones or cultures.
I wanted to check this because with Orion’s Belt we thought we had a problem with the game distribution: in 3 years we only got about ~4000 registrations. I mean, its normal to have lots of registrations and much less actual players, it’s normal that several users that try the game don’t like it. But at least they have to try.
Comparing Orion’s Belt with other mainstream webgames shows that everyone has a lot more registrations than us. But my conclusion is that having ~4000 registrations only in the Portuguese market, isn’t so bad at all, because if we started to target the English market and got an 1000% registration boost (like my blog), we would get much more players.
And thats why webgame companies always launch their games localized for several countries.